“These are international events organised by an international sports organisation that’s really known for World Championships and competitions and medals, and yet we manage to get all these participants to an event that’s there for the joy, just for the coming together – to show and to watch Gymnastics.” - Margaret Sikkens Ahlquist, President of the FIG GfA Committee
The World Gymnaestrada is a world-wide, non-competitive FIG Gymnastics for All event held every 4 years, attracting the largest number or active participants of any FIG event.
The objectives of the World Gymnaestrada include:
- Promoting the value and diversity of Gymnastics
- Encouraging the growth of Gymnastics for All worldwide
- Providing incentives for meaningful work within FIG Member Federations
- Inspiring enjoyment in exercise and encouraging personal activity
- Demonstrating the unlimited possibilities of different ideas of Gymnastics for All
- Presenting the most recent findings and developments
- Bringing together gymnasts from all over the world as a contribution towards the friendship of nations
- Presenting the diversity of Gymnastics to a wider public
- Offer an interesting and exciting events in gymnastics for the participants and the audience.
The next World Gymnaestrada will take place in Amsterdam, Netherlands from 30th July – 5th August 2023. For more info, follow the link below
World Gym for Life Challenge
The World Gym for Life Challenge is an International Contest for Gymnastics groups. It is a Gymnastics for All event, held every 4 years, alternating with the World Gymnaestrada. Participation in the event is open to everyone, regardless of gender, age, race, religion, culture, ability or social standing.
The objectives of the World Gym for Life Challenge include:
- Provide a second FIG event for gymnastic groups (the first being the World Gymnaestrada – above)
- Offer gymnastic groups the opportunity to participate in a contest and have their performance evaluated
- Create an interesting and exciting event in gymnastics for the participants and the audience
- Offer interesting workshops for gymnasts and coaches
The 4th World Gym for Life Challenge will be held in Lisbon, Portugal, 13-17th July, 2021. The event is expected to attract some 3,000 gymnasts from around the world to the Portuguese capital.
Athletes will come together at the Altice Arena during the event which is part of the Lisbon European Capital of Sport 2021 programme of events.
Each of the performances are a maximum of five minutes in length and can incorporate any gymnastic element, with or without apparatus and accompanied by music. Each group should have a minimum of two active gymnasts, but there is no maximum number, meaning your group can be as big or as small as you like. Groups choose to participate in one of four categories, depending on the type of performance and size of the group.
Entries - World Gym for Life Challenge
Any club who is interested in taking part in this event please contact [email protected] Provisional entries due end of August 2020.
To register, your group must have a minimum of two active gymnasts (all must be current GI members). There is no maximum. Groups choose to participate in one of the following categories, which are divide by the type of performance and size of group.
- Gymnastics and Dance, small group (20 or less gymnasts)
- Gymnastics and Dance, large group (21 or more gymnasts)
- Gymnastics on or with large apparatus, small groups (20 or less gymnasts)
- Gymnastics on or with large apparatus, large group (21 or more gymnasts)
IMPORTANT: Any teams thinking of travelling to this event should ensure they read the GFA International Events Selection policy. Please follow the link below.
- Download the Gymnastics Ireland GfA International Events Selection Policy here
For more detailed information on both of these events, including FIG rules and guidelines, download the Gymnastics for All Manual, Edition 2019 here.