2018 Gymnastics Ireland in Review - History made, success gained and growth all round
18th December 2018, 13:31p.m. | National
Irish Sport HQ, Dublin; 2018 was a massive year for the sport of gymnastics in Ireland, from significant increase in membership to over 30,000 members through to Rhys McClenaghan been named the Young Sportsperson of the Year at the 2018 RTÉ Sport Award on Saturday 15th Dec after a historic European Championships gold medal in August. There is no doubt that gymnastics in Ireland is continuing its rise and the popularity of the sport is at an all time high.
Relive some of the 2018 highlights in the video produced by our resident media company Hello Deer…
As we look back at the achievements of 2018 some of the key highlights include...
- Proud winner of the National Governing Body of the Year at the 2018 Sports Industry Awards
- Membership grew by 3000 members from the previous membership year to hit over 30,000 members making us one of the largest Olympic national governing bodies in Ireland
- Record entries of over 7000 participants in our national events programme covering participation through to performance levels
- Rhys McClenaghan made history by hitting Gold on Pommel at the 2018 European Championships in Glasgow, becoming the first Irish gymnast to win a senior European title, just a few weeks after winning gold in pommel for a second consecutive year at the 2018 World Challenge Cup in Mersin
- Women’s Artistic gymnast Emma Slevin finished 5th in the Beam final at the 2018 World Youth Olympic Games and is the first Irish gymnast to qualify for this Olympic event.
- Gymnastics Ireland was awarded the NGB of Sport Award at the 2018 Cara Inclusion Awards supported by Sport Ireland for its GymABLE Club Inclusion Project for people with disabilities.
- New commercial partnership with Nestlé Cereals & Quatro Enterprises
- Rhys McClenaghan was awarded the Young Sportsperson of the Year at the 2018 RTÉ Sport Awards. Read full story & watch him receive his award here… https://goo.gl/aWdNds
Please note video was produced prior to win of the CARA Inclusion Award and Rhys RTÉ Sport Award.
For more exciting gymnastics news follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat & LinkedIn @GymnasticsIRE